The following is step by step how to teach grammar present tense with communicative technique. The technique to introduce new language is PPP (Presentation, Practice, Production).
Technique: Describing Habits
Topic: Daily Habits
Media/Material: List of Activities
1. Describe your daily habits or something you usually do in the morning:
"I always get up early in the morning. I always take a bath before I eat breakfast, then I usually leave the house at 6.30 in order to I can get to the office on time. I get home at about 14.00. In the evening, I just stay at home, and I don't like going out at night.
How about you? What time do you usually go to bed? Do you always go to bed at that time every day? What do you do in the evening?"
2. Ask 10 students to write down their answer on the board. Don't forget to give them time to work on their paper first.
3. After having their answer, give them feedback by saying "good", "well done" and correct their errors. Here are some examples of gramatical errors made by students:
- I am go to bed at 9.00
- I am sleeping at 10.00
- I am always sleep at 11.00
- I always watching TV in the evening.
Correct the errors, but don't be tough. Teachers should respect their effort.
4. Give them some oral questions to improve their listening skills and then write the questions on the board. Here are some examples of the questions:
- What do you usually do on Sunday morning?
- Do go to school by bike or car?
- What time do you usually watch TV?
- What do you usually do after breakfast?
5. Give students 4-5 minutes to work in group. After that, ask 5 students to write the answer on the board. Correct the errors found in the sentences.
6. Tell students about the function of Present Tense.
"We call this sentence "Present Tense". We use present tense to talk about habitual action."
7. Give brief explanation about the formula. Please not to speak too much. Just give them simple formula as following:
Verb - 1
In the morning
On my day off
Once a week
8. Give some examples of present tense. Here are some examples:
- I always get up early in the morning.
- I never go to school by car everyday.
- Robert sometimes plays football every monday.
9. Tell students when the suffix "s/es" should be put on the verb.
10. Tell the students how to compose negative sentence.
1. Give the students some exercises based on the topic. The exercises can be oral or written. Here are some examples:
- What do you do after you take a bath in the morning?
- Do you always tak a bath early in the morning?
- What time do you usually eat breakfast?
- What do you usually eat for breakfast?
- Do you sometimes eat lunch at the restaurant?
2. Ask them to work in group in 5-10 minutes. Ask 5 students to write the answer on the board.
3. Correct the errors and summarize the function.
1. Ask students to compose a composition about their daily activities.
2. Ask students to tell the whole class or tell their group.
3. Reinforce them by some written test. Here are some examples:
- She (work/works) hard everyday.
- Sujadi always (ride/rides) his motor to school.
- I often (come/comes) late.