The following is 8 steps how to teach writing narrative. You can modify the steps depend on students' level.
Aims: By the end of the lesson students will be better able to compose a story in the genre of narrative.
- Ask students to make a list of story they have ever read.
- Give students a simple story and ask them to identify the main characters of the story, when and where the story happens.
- Ask students to identify problem faced by the main characters and how the problem is solved.
- Ask students to identify Past Tense in the text.
- Ask students to make a draft of story. The draft must contains the main characters, setting of time and place, problem and the solving problem.
- Ask students to make main idea of the story. Tell them to create 4 paragraphs. Paragraph 1 contains the introductory of main characters, setting time and place. Paragraph 2 contains problem faced by the main characters. Paragraph 3 contains of problem solving. Paragraph 4 contains ending of the story.
- Ask students to exchange their work and identify the main characters, the problem and solution of the story that their friend has made.
- Ask students to give feedback/comments to the story made by their partner.