Steps to teach reading in the genre of procedure and the classroom activities will be given in the following. These activities are set up for intermediate level.
By the end of the lesson students will be better able to get specific information from the text in the genre of procedure.
1. Give students warming up e.g. guessing game. Divide students into 2 groups. Show some pictures about food/drink. Give each group a chance to guess in 3 seconds.
2. Lead in: Give students a picture about some ingredients will be used in the text. Give them time to work in group of three or four to name the ingredients.
3. Check the result through the class.
4. Revise vocabulary items will be used in the text e.g. words translation. Give them 5 minutes to complete the task in their group.
5. Check the result through the class.
1. In group of four, ask students to rearrange the steps how to make some food e.g. Gudeg Jogja (Green Jackfruit Sweet Stew). Give them 5-10 minutes to work.
2. Check the result through the class.
3. Ask students to get specific information from the text by answering some questions. Give them time 5 minutes to work in group.
4. Check the result through the class.
1. Ask students to identify the grammatical features used in the text e.g. the usage of verb.
2. Check the answer through the class.
3. Conclude the lesson.
See the materials of teaching reading in the genre of procedure text here