Reading Materials and Classroom Activities
Answer these questions!
1. Have you ever seen tsunami?
2. What country has ever been damaged by tsunami?
3. What will you do if tsunami attacks your town?
4. How do you help the victims of tsunami?
Match the words on the left with the synonym on the right!
Read the explanation text below and answer the questions!
The term of "tsunami" comes from the Japanese which means harbor ("tsu") and wave ("nami"). A tsunami is a series of waves generated when water in a lake or the sea is rapidly displaced on a massive scale.
A tsunami can be generated when the sea floor abruptly deforms and vertically displaces the overlying water. Such large vertical movements of the earth's crust can occur at plate boundaries.
Seduction of earthquakes is particularly effective in generating tsunamis, and occurs where denser oceanic plates slip under continental plates.
As the displaced water mass moves under the influence of gravity to regain its equilibrium, it radiates across the ocean like ripples on a pond.
Tsunami always brings great damage. Most of the damage is caused by the huge mass of water behind the initial wave front, as the height of the sea keeps rising fast and floods powerfully into the coastal area.
1. What language is tsunami derived from?
2. When will tsunami happen?
3. What is the relation between earthquake and tsunami?
4. What is the purpose of the text above?